July 31, 2008

One of Those Days

Have you ever have one of those days where everything you have planned just doesn't seem meant to be? Today was that day for me. I intended to do a mid-morning long(ish) run, but had some things to take care of that pushed me to a later start. Then I got sidetracked looking for my flight to Madison to visit family, volunteer at Ironman Wisconsin and sign up for the 2009 race. This took awhile since I had a number of scenarios to explore, but it was worth the time. I found a frequent flyer ticket on an airline I never fly anymore and had just enough miles to cover it. I'll be in Madison for 9 days and it's only costing me $7.50. You can't beat that.

I kicked around the idea of doing a short ride instead of running, but as the day moved on, it got hotter and hotter and my motivation waned. I decided to redeem the running and biking tomorrow and just settle for an evening swim. I was more tired than usual so a semi-rest day felt like the right thing to do.

Since I was sitting at a computer all day, I decided to walk to the pool rather than bike. I enjoyed the walk and got to the pool fairly quickly. I showed my ID to the security guy and headed upstairs to the pool. Within minutes I had my cap and goggles on and was ready to get started. And then I noticed it was missing. Again. My ID was nowhere to be found. The last time I lost it I didn't notice for days, but this was ridiculous, I had just used it to get into the building! I ditched the cap and goggles, threw on shorts and walked back the way I came to see if I could find it. This involved two sets of stairs, an elevator and a long trip across the building. It was nowhere to be found. So I headed back to the locker room incredibly frustrated. I had wasted 20 minutes at this point. I turned my bag inside out one more time and finally found it.

The pool was a little more crowded tonight so there were only two lanes left to be shared. There was a guy who was a good swimmer and a girl floating and backstroking. Just as I was thinking the guy was the right choice, he started doing the butterfly so I had to go with the backstroker. I waited for her to reach the wall before getting in and sure enough, it was the woman that swam right over me a couple times last month and then freaked out because I touched her. Just my luck. She was meandering again so it was hard to get into a rhythm. Luckily butterfly man left after 10 minutes or so and I was able to take over his lane. I had a great swim albeit a short one. I was still a little tired, but was able to swim a bit faster than yesterday with the same amount of effort.

I decided to walk along the new Hudson River Park on the way home to enjoy the nice evening. The sun was just starting to set and it was beautiful. I was strolling along enjoying the view, not really looking where I was going, but happened to sight a rather large dog pile up ahead. Apparently Fido's owner forgot to bring a plastic bag along. Unfortunately, the guy headed my way didn't happen to notice and shuffled right through it, smearing it everywhere. Suddenly I realized my day wasn't so bad after all.

Swimming
Distance - 1350 yards (.76 miles)
Time - 26:03

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...