- I am the proud owner of a shiny new Cervelo P2C tri bike. I won't have it in my possession until they locate my size and I'm able to do the fitting, but it will be patiently waiting for me in a box at Cadence. Retail therapy works wonders, I feel better already!
- I finally found a doctor to remove my stitches. I begged my orthopedist so he did it reluctantly, I think he felt sorry for me. And it turns out the PA that stitched me up in the Nyack ER did a beautiful job.
- I'm allowed to bike on the trainer and use the elliptical as soon as I feel up to it. I can also do kicking and one-armed drills at the pool.
- I have no ligament or tendon damage in my shoulder.
- As suspected, I have a fracture in the greater tuberosity of the humerus in my left arm. It's non-displaced, which is great, but broken none the less.
- My triathlon season is over. My next triathlon will most likely be Ironman 70.3 New Orleans on April 5, 2009.
- I won't be swimming for at least a month, but more likely 2+ months. This is the type of injury that will hurt for awhile and severely limit my .
- I can't run for now, not even on the treadmill. I've had one week of resting and wearing a sling and my doctor would like a minimum of two more weeks. I'm hoping I can maintain some level of running fitness on the trainer and elliptical.
I'm disappointed for sure, but I was pretty much expecting this. I'm thankful the damage wasn't worse and I'm hopeful I can still have a good once I get back into training. It might be difficult to reach my sub 4-hour goal with this setback, but I'll see how I feel and re-evaluate my goal if needed. I'm just happy to have a running season to look forward to along with a lot of indoor training on my new bike once my shoulder is ready.
I'm getting up at 3:45 a.m. tomorrow to go to the triathlon I was supposed to be racing, the Sandy Hookers Tri Club race in Long Branch, NJ. I signed up with my swim buddy Roberto and then invited Barb from my JackRabbit training group to join us. Since the two of them have never met, I felt like I'd be ruining everyone's weekend by not going. Besides, sitting around here feeling sorry for myself would just ruin my weekend so I decided to go along for support and to serve as the unofficial photographer for the two. I'm sure I'll feel some sadness and a sense of loss, but I'm hoping that being there and experiencing the day with friends will also be uplifting. I have so much to look forward to next season.