August 20, 2008

Stitches

It used to be that the only stitches I worried about were the ones I was getting in my side from running. But now that I can't run, I have a different issue with stitches. My recovery is progressing quite nicely which means it's time to get the stitches out of my elbow. I'm really looking forward to this because I'm experiencing a lot of pain there and am hoping the healing process will get underway more quickly once they are out. Sounds simple, right? Wrong. Just like with the stitches in my chin (which I had to beg my orthopedist to remove since I happened to be there the day they needed to come out), I cannot find a doctor willing to remove them. I spent an hour on the phone today and was finally advised to go to the ER and have them out.

I've had the misfortune of visiting a New York City ER on three unhappy occasions and I don't wish to repeat this for something as simple as stitches. It would likely mean hours and hours of waiting and being exposed to some rather unpleasant things. I'm getting back on the phone tomorrow to see what I can do. The manicure scissors and some alcohol are starting to look like the best option.

I wanted to try the elliptical today, but couldn't find the motivation to go to the gym so I did a short trainer ride instead. I was only in the mood for 30 minutes so I tried to keep the pace up to make it worthwhile. I got to try my new pedals and shoes for the first time. I love the shoes, they are specifically for triathlon so they are lined for sockless wear and vented on the top. They were incredibly comfortable. The new pedals were really hard to clip into so they need some adjusting. I'm hoping to be able to get them right.

On the topic of bikes, Cadence called to tell me my bike arrived today. They are keeping it there for me until I'm well enough to do the fitting. It's a 3-hour process that would require me to get my shoulder fully extended in the aero position so I'm guessing it's going to be a few weeks at least. I hope it isn't too long. I cannot wait to get on that bike, even if it's only on the trainer for awhile.

Biking (trainer)
Distance - 7.9 miles
Time - 30:00

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...