October 4, 2008

DC Fun

I got to my sister's place in DC last night around 12:45 a.m. after a 3.5-hour train ride and a short Metro ride. I love it here and haven't been since Memorial Day weekend when there was a huge backyard party involving a kiddie pool, bourbon and a 4 a.m. train ride back to NYC. This trip will most certainly be more tame considering I'm here to run the Army 10-Miler tomorrow. But that doesn't mean there won't be a small amount of DC Fun to be had. I snuck a bottle of wine on the train and then shared another upon arrival before going to bed at 2:30.

After sleeping in a bit, we drove down to Alexandria for breakfast at Jack's, our favorite local coffee shop where the service is slow as molasses to the point of being infuriating at times, but totally worth it since we had to pick up our race packets in Virginia anyway. We browsed the expo a bit and I got a much-needed new pair of shoes. My current shoes are pretty beat up and have around 500 miles on them. I did a short run in the new pair and was shocked by how white and clean they are compared to my old ones. That won't last long though.


This was my first run since Sunday's 18-miler so I half expected my legs to fall apart. But all went well so I'm hoping it's a good sign for tomorrow. I'd like to have a few hassle-free runs so I can regain my confidence for the marathon. I'm not sure how much I'll push the pace though given my recent setbacks, but I'm sure I'll be able to keep a similar pace as my race last week. If nothing else, this is the first big race I've ever done with my sister so I'm looking forward to it. I keep trying to convince her that we could run the Marine Corps Marathon together and she says I'm crazy. But she used to think a half-marathon was crazy as well and she just finished one. So I guess we'll see.

Running
Distance - 3 miles
Time - 26:57

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...