October 21, 2008

Season's Change

It's officially fall in New York. I love the changing of the seasons and fall is by far my favorite. October is my favorite month. It's the first time we have cooler weather, the leaves just begin to change and it's usually marathon season for me and the first time I enjoy running outside. I stepped out this morning and it hit me that summer is really over and that I never recovered fast enough to enjoy even the end of it.

But for the first time, I'm ok with that. I have finally had enough time to shift my focus and move on in many ways. I'm easing back ever so slowly into being a triathlete and so while one season may be finished, the next is just beginning and I have a lot of new and different things to look forward to.

I planned to run this morning and managed to sleep through my alarm and three snoozes. I'm not a morning person, but that is highly unlike me. When my feet hit the floor I immediately knew why. I was not feeling quite right - heavy, tired, weak, achy. I felt sick. I dragged myself out of bed and went to work, tucked myself away in my office with the door closed and drank gallons of tea and water. I canceled plans for the evening and came home and made chicken noodle soup instead. I never got that run in, but my body was telling me not to and for once I listened. I don't have much to gain at this point, but I have a lot to lose. I am taking it one day, one step at a time and I'm deciding what's right as I go along.

I'm hoping to feel better tomorrow. I'm hoping to run. But if I don't or can't, I'm hoping I can at least enjoy what I'm sure will be another beautiful Fall day in New York. Regardless of anything else going on, I don't want to miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...