January 7, 2009

Multitasking

At the pace we live our lives, it's nearly impossible to survive without being good at multitasking. That's how I managed to get through today feeling rather productive. Finally.

Even though I had trouble sleeping again I dragged myself out of bed early (for me at least) and was out the door to the pool in 30 minutes. I decided to run to the pool to save time and squeeze in a tiny run workout. Multitasking in action. I put on my swimsuit with a sports bra over it, a pair of fleece lined running pants, a long sleeved top and my winter running jacket. I put my ID card and keys in one pocket and my swim cap in the other. The only place to put my goggles was around my neck. I got some odd looks from my neighbors on the way out. The weather called for a "wintry mix" that was basically cold and pouring rain. Oh well. I was getting in the pool anyway, right?

I had to dodge people with umbrellas blocking the sidewalks and try to avoid puddles. I stepped in a few and my feet were cold and wet. But there's always something about running in the rain. While everyone else is trying to stay dry you get to splash through puddles and let the water hit your face. It's hard to find the motivation to go out in the rain, but once out it's not so bad.

The pool was pretty empty so it made for a nice swim. My back and arms are fatigued from painting 7+ hours a day and I've lost more swim fitness, but I was able to get it done. I kept it short. I'm afraid of pushing my body too far while I'm doing all this painting and packing so I did an easy 1,200 yards divided up into 100, 200, 300 and 400 with 50 of kicking in between each one.

I treated myself to 10 minutes in the steam room before my run home. It felt amazing. I could have stayed all day, but the painting won't do itself so I headed back out into the rain and then off to Brooklyn. I painted almost 8 hours today but finally feel excited about the progress. Looks like my multitasking paid off.

Running
Distance - 1.25 miles
Time - 10:25

Swimming
Distance - 1,200 yards
Time - 26:32

1 comment:

  1. Either your new pad is enormous, or you're just a much more meticulous painter than yours truly! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Now, if I can just motivate myself to get to the pool today...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...