January 12, 2009

Where I've Been

It's been several days since my last post and for once it's not for lack of training. I've actually gotten in a few decent sessions lately, including a 7.25 mile run, my longest since the marathon in November. My lack of posting now is due to life conflicts. I'm moving in two days so every minute of every day is focused on making it happen. I had a two week overlap between apartments so I've been spending a lot of time in the new one painting and getting it ready. I do this for an average of 8 hours a day, then pack the remainder of the day. All of the workouts I've been able to do have been literally squeezed in between.

In addition to the longer run, I did another shorter run and a short swim yesterday. I ran to and from the gym and did a bit on the treadmill to round it out. The streets were really icy so not the best for an outdoor run. The pool was absolutely packed. I blame it on New Year's resolutions and being the end of a weekend where people likely didn't do any of the workouts they planned. My pool is small with only three lanes designated Slow, Medium and Fast. When no one is there, you can swim in whichever lane you like, but when it's crowded you're supposed to swim in the appropriate speed since there will be 3 swimmers going circular. Of course the Fast lane was occupied by a water walker and the slowest swimmer in the pool. Nice. This forced the fastest swimmer in the pool into the Medium lane, along with a moderately medium swimmer. There were three already in the slow lane. I tend to swim medium - I'm neither fast nor slow - so it seemed appropriate. But the fast guy made it really intense. He would pass me every few laps and I'd end up drafting on his feet for a bit. I felt like I was in the open water start of a race at times. The other guy was having a heck of a time keeping up. After 1000 yards I decided to stop. I wasn't planning anything long anyway and it had felt good overall aside from some minor fatigue.

Today I did a short trainer ride to try out a new saddle. I've only ridden my new Cervelo once, which is just shameful. My first ride didn't last long due to my agonizing saddle so I swapped it out for one I had bought just before the bike. It was surprisingly comfortable and held up the entire 30 minutes so I think it's going to work. I had some pain, but that's more from not being on a bike for months than from the saddle. I need to ease back in and increase my time gradually. I hope to be back to some longer rides by the end of the month.

Tomorrow is my biggest day of the week, my final day to pack and be ready for the movers on Wednesday. Even thought I imagine every minute will be filled, I will find time for a swim or run, or maybe even both. Maybe I can apply some multitasking to make it happen.

1/9
Running
Distance - 7.26 miles
Time - 1:00:29

1/11
Running
Distance - 4.24 miles
Time - 36:00

Swimming
Distance - 1,000 yards
Time - 19:32

1/12
Biking (trainer)
Time - 30:00

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...