February 3, 2009

No Pain, No Gain

That fear I mentioned yesterday was very much justified. I woke up this morning feeling like a truck ran me over. My back was totally wrecked and my legs surprisingly sore. The back was definitely from the workout with the trainer and the legs were debatable - could have been the run (the first since the half marathon), could have been the squats. Either way, I wasn't feeling up to the long swim I had planned for the day.

After procrastinating as long as humanly possible, I decided to put my bike on the trainer and give it a try. I'm not sure what took longer: (1) Motivating myself to ride, (2) Actually getting my bike on the trainer and set up to ride, or (3) The ride itself. I finally got it going and put on Ironman Kona 2007, by far my favorite race coverage yet. As soon as I started pedaling I could tell my bike legs no longer existed. I was fatigued in less than 5 minutes and had to take a little break after 10. I ended up stopping periodically to get out of the saddle and give my legs a rest. I had some trainer set-up issues that gave me a chance to take a much needed break after about 20 minutes, then the remaining 40 minutes were a struggle for sure. It was painfully apparent I've barely biked for the past few months.

And speaking of painful, I was still hurting later in the day so I went to the gym for some light core work and tons of stretching and foam rolling. The foam rolling is excruciating but makes a huge difference. I worked on it for almost 45 minutes before a nice steam to wrap it up. I was feeling a bit looser and in less pain by the end of the day.

Biking (trainer)
Distance - 14.17 miles
Time - 1:00:00

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...