March 13, 2009

Back Among the Living

After 7 days of viral plague, I finally feel better. I got up at 6 a.m. to swim and had the usual first-thing-in-the-morning cough and congestion, but I figured it would pass on the subway ride to the pool. As always, I was late getting to the gym so I was in a huge rush. I ran down the stairs, praying the pool wasn't packed. I can usually tell by the amount of splashing I hear.

Luckily it was relatively slow. I was able to join a lane with just one swimmer and get going. My workout was simple - swim 1500 by doing 3 x 500 with a one-minute rest interval. This was in my aerobic pace as well so I got to take it easy. But in a matter of seconds it was obvious I hadn't been in the pool for 10 days. Talk about sloppy. I struggled to maintain decent form and my breathing was off as well. I was holding my breath a bit, which was not a good thing with this cold. And speaking of the cold, I had to stop a few times at the wall to cough. Nice. At least I wasn't blowing my nose in the water. That wouldn't be good since an official pool rule is - No expectorating of mucus allowed. Just reading that makes me want to rethink swimming with my mouth open.

I really miss swimming. It seems to be dropping off the schedule a lot lately and it's not only an area I need to improve, but it's a sport I really love. It's how I got into all of this and I don't want to see it diminished to a fraction of my training plan. As soon as I'm on the mend and have my new schedule under control, I'd like to spend more time in the water.

Swimming
Distance - 1,500 yards
Time - 30:00

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're feeling better, Kristen - nothing worse than feeling like you're falling behind on your training because of illness. I'm sure you'll be back on track in no time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...