March 10, 2009

Knowing When to Say When

As much as we hate to admit it, triathletes get sick. And getting sick often means training interruptions. This is incredibly frustrating and hard to accept. When I woke up at 5:45 this morning the first thing I noticed was a deep, sharp chest pain. The lingering congestion must have made its way down there and settled in overnight. The second thing I noticed was the equally painful cough that came with it. I was surprisingly wide awake so I sat there for a moment and pondered what to do. It's so hard to make the right decision for your overall well being, but I knew what I needed to do. There was no way I could attempt my bike workout with that level of fluid in my chest. So I stayed in bed another hour, not really sleeping but resting nonetheless, and hoped I'd feel better later.

My voice remained almost nonexistent all day and I ended up working far later than planned. I had rearranged my calendar to have tomorrow off instead of Friday due to client meetings so despite the lateness, I decided to do the ride. I figured I could sleep in tomorrow.

I felt relatively good but had a difficult time getting my heart rate up to my anaerobic range. This was a new workout and involved a lower cadence in a much harder gear so it definitely felt like work even though I'm sure I was performing at a lesser capacity. It was nice to feel my legs burn as well.

I finished the ride, had homemade chicken noodle soup, soaked in the tub and got ready for bed. I hope the turnaround is on its way.

Biking
Distance - 13.22 miles
Time -54:00

1 comment:

  1. Be careful with the anaerobic stuff while you are under the weather – When you are already knocked down it will just keep you down.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...