April 27, 2009

20 Weeks

Today was the starting point for those following a 20 week training plan for Ironman Wisconsin. Although I've been training with my coach for 10 weeks, the Ironman specific training just started two weeks ago. I enjoyed this brief introduction to higher volume training but have a feeling I'll enjoy this lower volume week as well.

I had a short swim on the schedule today instead of my usual Monday rest day. I decided to spare myself an early morning wake up and did the swim after work. I got to the pool right at 7 p.m. immediately as a class ended. Apparently everyone else had the same idea. The pool was packed so I joined two swimmers in the medium lane. I did a short warm up and when I got back to the wall, the guy in the lane next to me asked if I did New Orleans since I was wearing the swim cap. It turns out he did it as well and is training for Ironman Couer d'Alene. We exchanged info for possible training rides. You can never know too many triathletes.

The swim felt really nice and easy. I did four sets of 250 and a short cool down. The biggest challenge was navigating around Mr. Kickboard in my lane. It's fine to do kicking drills, but doing 30 minutes of them in the medium lane when the pool is packed is just rude. I had to stop and stand up at one point.

The rest of this week is fairly light and easy. I think it's a good way to move into the next 20 weeks of training. I'm excited about what's to come.

Swimming
Distance - 1.200 yards
Time - 23:20

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...