April 22, 2009

Good Surprises

I had an early start to the day with a beauty magazine awards event so I had a decision to make - attempt to do my run before, or save it until after work. Experience has shown that after work is generally a bad idea so I decided to go extra early and fit it in. I was really tired after just six hours of sleep so I was expecting it to be a slow and unpleasant workout, especially since I was scheduled for speed work.

There are a lot of surprises in my training, some good and some not so good. But today was a good surprise. I did a five-minute easy warm up and immediately started the intervals, two minutes anaerobic eight times with a one-minute rest interval in between. I usually walk my rest intervals and when I last did this workout, I had a really hard time surviving the two-minute intervals. Today the intervals felt good. My anaerobic range is 7:14-8:00/mile so I started at 7:41 and gradually sped it up to 7:18 on my last one. And instead of walking, I did my rest intervals at a 10:00 pace. After the intervals I ran another 15 minutes aerobic to make this a 45-minute session.

Weeks like this with small improvements are really great. It makes me feel like the work I'm doing is paying off, even if it's slow and frustrating at times. I'm starting to think it's because of the rest week and the lower volume, which I've complained endlessly about, but know it has a purpose. Hopefully the rest of the week will be as good.

Running
Distance - 5:27
Time - 45:00

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...