April 21, 2009

How Far I've Come

I had a little breakthrough in the pool today. Nothing crazy, but just a few really good moments where I was able to get my time per 100 down to 1:35, the faster end of my anaerobic range. But it didn't feel breakthrough because of the pace, it felt breakthrough because I felt stronger and more comfortable overall. I finally feel like I have the potential to be a faster swimmer, something I previously thought was impossible since I learned so late in life. I'll never be the first one out of the water, but at least I no longer fear the swim.

These little breakthroughs remind me of just how far I've come. I looked back at my blog archives from the first weeks I was swimming, back in May 2008. It would take me 30 minutes to cover 400 yards or less because I literally had to catch my breath after every length. I remember stopping at the wall once and fighting back tears. It was frustrating and humbling, and hard to accept I may never get it even though I wanted it so badly. Less than one year later I've finished my first half Ironman and am training for an Ironman. I couldn't be happier.

Swimming
Distance - 1,800 yards
Time - 31:24

3 comments:

  1. your an inspiration! I am back where you started. a few weeks ago I was able to get 50 yds in. This week I went 800 yds non-stop! Im slow but its good to know its possible to get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often have to remind myself the same thing - my swimming still isn't great, but it's a far cry from the days when I couldn't do more than 25 yards at a time. Congrats on the progress - you're persistance has definitely paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Reminded me that Matchbox 20's "How Far We've come" was my song for last fall's NYC marathon.

    Great progress. And great speed miles that you ran!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...