May 15, 2009

Blah

Today was one of those days where I noticed every step and every pedal stroke and couldn't wait for it to be over with. I guess you can't feel great all the time and I've been really lucky lately so I can't complain, but it sure made for a long day. I slept in, ate, relaxed and suddenly had no desire to do any level of training. That's never a good sign. I dragged myself onto the bike and got 50 minutes done. It wasn't bad, it wasn't good, it just was. It felt rather slow.

I changed and headed out for my long run, something I usually look forward to but not today. I felt tired before I even started and contemplated waiting and doing it later. Another bad sign. The first few miles were ok although I was definitely checking the Garmin a lot. I'd say it wasn't horrible until after the halfway point. I got so tired I could barely fathom running another six miles. The second half was supposed to be slower, but my plan was to do it about 6-10 seconds per mile slower, not the 30-45 seconds I ended up being. At some points I just wanted to stop and sit down. I had horrible stitches from mile seven through the end. Fun.

I got a 20-ounce Gatorade with three miles to go and ended drinking the entire thing. I think that says a lot about how I was feeling. I may have been underfueled, my legs may have been tired from last night's hammerfest on the bike, or maybe my body just didn't feel like running today. I was thrilled when it was over.

I ate a little and hopped back on the bike, intending to ride 40 more minutes. After 10 I bagged it. I'd simply had enough and of course shortening a workout made me feel guilty. But I figure I'm adding an extra 40 miles on the bike this weekend so that should more than make up for it.

I rode my bike over to R&A Cycles in Park Slope and got a new saddle. I went with the Profile Tri Stryke, not because I really wanted it, but because out of the ones they had, it seemed like the best for me for right now. They were nice enough to put it on and I rode it home. It feels better than my old one for sure, but only time will really tell. Let's hope I'm not in tears at mile 50 of the century. I normally wouldn't make an equipment change right before a big event, but I literally couldn't bear another long ride on the old one. I figure this can't be much worse!

Running
Distance - 12 miles
Time - 1:47:08

Biking
Distance - 14.87 miles
Time - 1:00:00

1 comment:

  1. I have had my own saddle troubles - good luck switching before the century.

    If I switch saddles again I might go with John Cobb - 6 months - no questions asked return policy - http://www.cobbcycling.com/warranty.cfm

    Changing saddles for me has been $$$. Recently I have been pretty happy with a stock Cervelo take off from a friend.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...