August 26, 2009

Numbers

Ironman training is a bit of a numbers game. Progress and effort are measured in miles, meters, yards, beats per minute, calories, average speed, pace, watts, pounds, body fat percent, and hours per week. Now that I'm just a few precious days from taper, I thought I'd take a look back at some of the numbers that have gotten me where I am today.

Swim: 45 hours; 35 minutes; 15 seconds - 141,699.1 yards
Bike: 179 hours; 24 minutes; 12 seconds - 2,514.64 miles
Run: 96 hours; 16 minutes; 36 seconds - 641.45 miles

100+ mile rides: 6
13+ mile runs: 16

Bike Miles in August: 692.32 so far

Average Hours Per Week: 8-12 normal weeks; 20-28 peak weeks

This is just a snapshot of my experience over the last 29 weeks. I still have some big training before I start my taper on Monday, but it's a good time to reflect on everything I've done so far. A blogger friend I follow said this in his most recent post:

Regardless of what happens on Race Day - and a lot of crazy things can happen on Race Day - the fact that we've all gotten to this point in one piece is something that no one can ever take away from you. All those early mornings. The sweat in your eyes. The rain on your sunglasses. The skinned knees. The bee stings. All of that "hay" is in the barn because you moved it there. And that, by itself, is reason to celebrate. Take a minute to do just that. You deserve it.

It reminded me to be proud of my accomplishments and remember to celebrate. This is, after all, a hobby. Something I do for fun. It's been the most challenging, rewarding, frustrating, humbling and fun experience of my life.

My plantar fasciitis caused some issues today but I was able to deal with it and get in a solid day of training. I have an ART session tomorrow morning and am hoping a little work and some patience will get me to the starting line in good condition. I took an unplanned rest day yesterday to enjoy a little non-tri life. I have no regrets. I need to be able to wake up on September 14 and feel good about the choices I've made, including all the things I had to sacrifice to fit the training in. I'll never truly know if I've done enough, but I know I gave it my all and that is the most important thing.

Biking
Distance - 25 miles
Time - 1:35:00

Running
Distance - 15 miles
Time - 2:23:54

4 comments:

  1. That is a huge bike month - I think I topped out just over 600.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so amazed at the amount of volume you have been putting in. Simply incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've really put in a lot of training ... you are ready. You are going to rock the IM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please be careful, K - I'm sure that your foot will be fine if you just let it rest a bit. My friend Drew did IMAZ having not run *at all* for the four weeks beforehand because of PF, and he did great on race day. Probably wouldn't have been the case if he hadn't taken the time off. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...