September 19, 2009

Immediate and Long-Term Recovery

As I approach the end of my first post-race week, I'm feeling really good and think my recovery is coming along nicely. The pain subsided very quickly but fatigue still lingers on. I've had one easy bike and two swims so far and will have a very easy ride tomorrow. I'm not expecting much from my body. My HR spikes from minimal activity and even when the RPE feels good, I'm moving at a snail's pace. I ditched the HRM on my last swim and just did it and enjoyed the time in the water. I know I'll get my energy back over time when my body is ready.

I've experienced some other interesting feelings this week. My appetite has been wildly fluctuating day by day. I was starving on Monday, perfectly normal on Tuesday, barely ate on Wednesday, was like a bottomless pit on Thursday, pretty hungry Friday and then back to normal today. I've been allowing myself a grace period of eating and drinking whatever I want during this week. I figure I've earned it. Starting tomorrow I'll get back on track.

I saw my podiatrist yesterday to talk about my longer-term recovery and the prognosis for my foot. I was really disappointed by what I found out, but am willing to do whatever it takes to be 100% healthy for next season. A fascia tear can take 4-6 months to fully heal which means I likely won't run at all during that time frame. I was prepared to give up months, but wasn't thinking it would be that extreme. I'm a bit worried how that will affect my early training for Lake Placid and hope I can get right back to where I was pre-injury. I was cast for orthotics and should have them in two weeks. After that I'll ease out of the boot. I have a follow up MRI in four weeks and will likely be starting PRP injections shortly after. I'm continuing to stay off it and will be gradually increasing my biking and swimming to compensate for the lack of running.

I have an excellent doctor and a great coach who both understand how important this is to me. I trust them to guide me through this recovery and help set me up for a great 2010 season. Onward and upward!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are going well - keep enjoying the Post Ironman Glow!

    Have you considered Aqua Jogging? I have heard it is an excellent way to maintain running fitness during injury.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...