September 1, 2009

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

In my ongoing battle with acute plantar fasciitis, PF is winning again as of today. I can't explain it. I get dramatically better and start imagining a good race, then hours later I'm reduced back to barely being able to walk and fighting the pain. I felt great this morning, almost back to normal. I had a very positive talk with my coach about my race plan and he said I wouldn't need to adjust my goal, that I had the fitness and endurance to do the same race I've been working toward. My podiatrist also said I should be on track for a great race. Then sometime after lunch I got up and could barely take a step. It's like everything changed in a matter of hours and I was wishing I had my crutches with me.

I took this photo before my 20 mile run a few weeks ago in new shoes I thought would never stay so white. But they've mostly sat unused since and my podiatrist confirmed today I will be doing very little, if any, running before race day. I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm to the point where I don't care if I run again until after T2, even if that means the run will be a total mystery. I'd rather wait to figure it out than take any chances now.

I am trying so hard to keep my mind in a positive place and not dwell on the pain, the recovery, the lack of recovery, the race, my goals, all of it. But I'm human and that's a very hard thing to do. Plus it's a holiday weekend, a weekend I chose to stay in New York so I could take the time needed to prep for the race. Now this solo weekend is going to give me too much time to do the dwelling I don't want to do. It's going to take a lot of will to stay focused on the good and just let time do its work.

I did an easy hour on the bike tonight to keep the legs loose. It was the first time a ride didn't relieve the pain in my foot so I'm hoping today was just a bad day.

I have found incredible support and advice from friends, family, fellow triathletes, forums, blogs and comments here and it has really kept me going. I'm planning to compile the things that have really struck me and will post it here, but I'm also putting it in my special needs bags in case I'm having a hard time on race day and need a boost. It's all part of my effort to let go of the negative. Perhaps the positive energy will help speed up my recovery as well.

Biking
Distance - 14.11 miles
Time - 1:00:00

5 comments:

  1. You might want to read my friend Susi's blog about her IMC experience last weekend. She had tummy issues rather than feet issues, but found a way to continue in spite of the pain. http://sbrgyrl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just keep in mind that you've already made progress, K - there have been substantial periods of pain-free walking - and we're still 10 days out. Just keep treating it, and I have a feeling you'll be running hard on race day. We've got you in our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep those positive thoughts flowing. I'm sure you'll be fine.

    I just started reading your blog a few weeks ago. Very interesting stories and experiences.

    For a person that didn't know how to swim... to where you are now is simply amazing!!

    Good luck!
    Just a fellow marathoner from Hawaii

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recovery is the most important aspect. Something I don't always do so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just throwing this out there, and I know others have shared my exact experience. But I came down with PF, took some time off where I only biked, and started back running in Vibram FiveFingers. The last run I did in shoes I had to quit at 3 miles and get a ride home because I could not walk. Now I have done nearly 200 miles in the last 35 days of being back running.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...