November 30, 2009

The Shoe Verdict

I went shoe shopping yesterday in preparation for my big running debut next week. As mentioned in a previous post, I was thinking about switching to Newtons and gave them a try. I ended up not buying them, not because I didn't like them, but because I don't think I'm ready for that much of a change. I've spent the last decade running in the heavily padded, highly stabilized Asics Kayanos so any sort of change is a big step. Now that I have custom orthotics stability shoes are no longer needed. I wanted less shoe and am hoping over time I'll adopt a better running form. Newtons claim to guide you in that direction and after a short treadmill run I can see why, but having been off my feet for nearly four months and really having to learn to run all over again, I decided to wait and re-consider a bigger change in the spring.

I ended up going with the Brooks Ghost, a very light neutral shoe that offers enough support so I can start running in them immediately. I'll likely keep the Kayanos and alternate for awhile until my feet are used to running again. With just two days to go, I can hardly wait.

I'm heading home today after a nice long weekend in Wisconsin. I'm doubtful my whole stable weight plan worked and I blame the browned butter and sea salt rice crispy treats my sister made last night. Until then I may have been able to break even, but after eating four and wishing I had eaten a few more, I think a little weight gain may be in order. But if you had tasted them you'd know it was more than worth it. I'll have to burn them off on my inaugural run Wednesday.

5 comments:

  1. You can't leave Wisconsin without gaining a couple of pounds. I think it's a law.

    Check out this video when you have a second - a blogger friend of mine did IMAZ last weekend. Her husband put this together. Makes me want to sign up for another one, dammit.

    http://runningstories.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John,

    Good luck with your training! I give you a lot of credit. New shoes is always a tough decision but I figured I'd tell ya to give my company a look. We're a company of runners so I understand how fast you're going to go through your shoes training. RunningCompanyShoes.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard a lot of good things about Newtons, people swear by them, but I just can't seem to give up my Brooks. Let us know how you like your Brooks Ghost. I love new shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep us in the loop on your verdict with the Newtons. I run in Mizuno's and love them and would probably never change, but I am always looking for the latest and greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm... sounds delicious. good luck with the Brooks !

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...