December 26, 2009

Like Riding a Bike

Thankfully, a nearly one month hiatus from swimming didn't entirely destroy my fitness. I dragged myself kicking and screaming to the pool this morning for a relatively easy 1600 with zero expectations. The last swim I did was atrocious and my motivation was shot so the time off was mostly mental, but as it turns out, it was also good for me physically. It came back immediately and my form didn't deteriorate until the end. I was definitely a little slower but I don't mind. I have time.

So maybe swimming is like riding a bike - once you know how to do it, you can take breaks from time to time and jump right back in without missing a beat. Let's hope.

4 comments:

  1. totally like riding a bike in my experience! i can not swim for 12 months and get back into the pool and knock over a couple of kms. once you've got swim fitness, it's there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find getting back into swimming shape is MUCH faster than biking or running. Must be the no-impact nature?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been in the water since the Ironman swim... because of the tattoo. Yup, that's why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am coming up on 6 weeks off from swimming - I'm a little bit excited and a little bit scared to get back in the water.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...