April 12, 2010

Love at First Bike

I took my new bike out for its first real ride, a 78-miler on Sunday in picture perfect weather. I was a little nervous as I headed out - What if I didn't like it? What if I were uncomfortable and wanted to end early? What if I were missing my old bike? But the nerves and questions melted away just a few short miles into the ride and I realized that being on a road bike is far more my style. I felt relaxed and comfortable, like I could handle any challenge the road threw my way and as usual, there were a few.

This was also my first long ride since October and it felt fantastic. Last week's ride was mediocre at best so I was prepared for this to be another survival ride but it turned out to be far better. And that's saying a lot since my "rest" day Saturday consisted of a 10.4 mile hike in the Catskills with my friend Debbie. We were on the road at 7am and on the trail by 10 for a full day in the woods. My legs were a little achy from Friday's training and were screaming by the end of the hike but nothing can beat a beautiful day spent outdoors so I was willing to take the risk. I stretched, foam rolled and slept in compression tights so I'd have semi-fresh legs for Sunday and it seems to have worked.

Here are a few cool pics from our hike. There are ruins of an old Catskills hotel that are incredibly fun to explore.

1 comment:

  1. With the S2, its not a matter of you liking the bike. Its a matter of the bike liking you! Seems like it does! How did you find climbing on it? Did it do most of the work for you?!?!?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...