September 7, 2010

Taper Time - Finally

We all know I've been resistant to taper. It has nothing to do with logging more training volume or feeling anxious. In fact it's essentially the opposite. My training numbers have been lower than last season and the only anxiety I'm feeling is related to having to pause on the pleasurable cycling that has become such an important part of my life. I had an easy, slightly boring and fairly reflective taper ride tonight. While I always enjoy being on the bike, it made me a little lonely since I couldn't join any of my usual ride buddies due to the need to go slow and easy. The other hard pill to swallow is that you go into an Ironman in peak fitness and come out destroyed. It takes a couple weeks to feel any energy and a couple more to get back to normal. It will be the end of September before I can attempt to ride with the Peloton or my faster cycling buddies again. It gives me a new goal.

I feel completely stress-free with regard to the race. I'm not obsessing over the weather and spending hours upon hours packing and prepping. I didn't even do that for my first Ironman due to my injury and I'm thankful to have escaped that. You can burn a lot of energy on nerves alone and it doesn't help to stress 24/7 about things you can't control like the weather. I have a good packing list that usually ensures I have everything I need. I'm looking forward to seeing my family and spending some quality time with them. I'm taking my mom and dad to the athlete's dinner this year, I thought it would be fun to show them another side of the race experience. My sister and her husband are also coming, so we'll all be there. It will be a very special weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck in Madison, K, I hope to see you at some point during the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so caught up in your IMLP reports that I failed to realize you were doing a second IM so soon. You truly are an Ironman. Best of luck on your race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck and have fun this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...