October 10, 2010

The Perfect Weekend

How often can you say you had the perfect weekend? I've had some good ones, and even a few perfect ones, but it's been awhile. Even though I was heading into this one somewhat unplanned, things fell into place and I'd say it was pretty close to perfect.

The weather was gorgeous so I biked and ran Friday, totally pain free. A friend was free and eager to join me at a new restaurant that just opened this week. A different friend was only blocks away so I met her for a drink first.

An incredible Saturday ride ended up coming together with my friend Dan. We spend five hours riding and talking, enjoying a beautiful fall day. I barely noticed the time we spent pedaling.

Today I rode again, this time solo but still really great. I was forced off my planned route due to a parade and was thoroughly proud that I used my GPS to find a new route and not end up lost in New Jersey. And then tonight while cleaning and prepping for the week, a friend stopped by to pick something up and we ended up drinking wine and chatting for a couple hours. It was far more fun than going out and totally unexpected.

I think the beauty of the offseason really hit me this weekend. We work so hard for so many months and deserve to take a break. For me the break is not a break from the sport so to say, but a break from the obligation. I want to ride my bike whether I'm training for an Ironman or not. I rode 132 miles this weekend simply because I wanted to. Yesterday we tackled 70 miles and every hill we could find... but just for fun. Today I took it easy, avoided the hills and just enjoyed the feel of riding. Because I could. Because I didn't have anything else I needed to do. What an incredible feeling.

4 comments:

  1. That DOES sound like the perfect weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had an awesome weekend! It's a little crazy though to think that you can just do 132 miles of biking "for fun" :) I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This weather HAS to stay for another month. This is my favorite time of year to run and bike.

    Nice mileage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound like an awesome weekend! I know exactly what you mean about the off season. Like you, it's not so much straying from the s/b/r, but more about doing the sports just because I feel like going for a ride or run! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...