Thankfully the experience ended up being more tolerable than expected and went by surprisingly fast. I planned to break it up into parts - 6, 5 and 5, with a short break in between, but had forgotten that my programs the treadmills to stop after 30 minutes. So instead I paused for just a minute after each 30-minute interval to record my mileage and mentally regroup for the next one. This ended up working very well because it kept me from taking breaks, forced me to maintain a more consistent pace and made the miles fly by.
So what did I do for 2 hours, 18 minutes and 59 seconds while running?
- Analyzed the lovely shade of blue the wall in front of me was painted. Note to self: try very hard to get a treadmill in front of the windows next time. You can only read the 5 rules of the fitness facility so many times.
- Browsed through two catalogs. I figured I could get some shopping done and feel less guilty about throwing the catalog into the recycling without looking at it first.
- Went through every song on my iPod and had to repeat a few. Must update running mix.
- Found crafty ways to keep going when my 30-minutes was up, even when there were people waiting. I love breaking the rules.
- Learned how to text and email on my iPhone without slowing my pace or falling.
- Sweated approximately 3 pounds of my body weight.