February 14, 2013

She's a Maniac

I haven't exactly been consistent the past year and a half and I've paid for it with loss of fitness. I run a lot slower, I can't remember the last time I biked outside and let's not even discuss swimming. So, if I can't do quality for now, I decided to go for quantity.

The cancellation of the NYC Marathon left me with a choice - take the guaranteed entry and pay yet again to do the race, or take a refund for 2012 and lose an entry I'd already paid for at least three times due to deferments. The reason I've postponed it so much is the timing. It's just months after Ironman Wisconsin and I'm usually burned out or barely jogging by November. But this year, I decided to do both. And if I were going to do two marathons in two months, why not three?

I've always wanted to qualify for Marathon Maniacs and decided 2012 is the year to try. When registration opens Tuesday, I'll sign up for the Chicago Marathon, which will make three marathons in 57 days, enough to qualify for the Bronze Maniac level.

I may not have a full race schedule yet, but at least I have a big goal. I'll do Ironman Wisconsin September 8, Chicago Marathon October 13 and New York City Marathon November 3. And on November 4 I may be hobbling, but with a really huge sense of accomplishment and my very own Marathon Maniac number.

5 comments:

  1. Good for you! I'm skipping Chicago this year...last year was just too crowded and it's gotten too expensive. Trying to decide if I should focus on IMWI 2014 or try to do a smaller, cheaper 26.2 in the fall. I'm planning on volunteering for IMWI (to get entry the next year) so see you out there on the course! I'll be cheering for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can use an IM marathon for Maniac status?????

    Hmmmm... I need to find a marathon between August and October now....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didnt know you could use an Ironman for MM status, interesting?? Hmmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither did I, so I emailed the Maniacs to be sure and yes, it counts. Any race of at least 26.2 that is official counts. You don't get any extra credit for doing more than 26.2, but I'd like to think it makes me sort of bad ass :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...