September 13, 2008

Planning Ahead

I spent today planning for the next few weeks of training. Now that I'm fairly confident my legs won't break, I feel ready to get back to a normal volume of running so I went to New York Road Runners Club to register for a few races:
  • Queens Half Marathon (tomorrow) - I'm not planning to run this at race pace since my longest run in 5 weeks was the 8 miles I ran a couple days ago. I'm just using this as my long run for the week. I imagine the first half or so will go very well, then I'll likely be hurting for the remainder. But as long as my stomach doesn't behave the way it did during the NYC Half, I'll be fine.
  • Fifth Avenue Mile (9/21) - I love this race. It's a ridiculous amount of fun to run and watch. I did it in 7:08 last year so my goal is sub-7. I'm really looking forward to this one. Of course I'm not looking forward to running an additional 14 miles or so when it's over, but hey, I have a marathon coming up.
  • NYC Marathon Tune-up 18-Miler (9/28) - I hate this race. Actually, I just hate the thought of the distance given my poor training. I've never actually done this entire race, but I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I did run 15 miles of the course once unregistered. I needed to get in a long run and didn't want to schlep my Gatorade and water so I joined about 1.5 miles in and cut out just before the finish. I know it's a tacky thing to do, but desperate measures and all...
I also bought my fall swim pass so I can get back in the pool next week. I really miss swimming even though I can only use one arm. I'm seeing my orthopedist for another X-ray next Friday and I'm hoping to get a sense of when I'll be allowed to swim for real.

After a long day on my feet and countless subway rides, I dragged myself out for a short run to keep my legs loose for tomorrow. The first mile was absolute misery. It was incredibly humid so it made it seem hotter than it really was. Plus I had dropped by my local bar for a visit and drank two beers so I was a little on the dehydrated side. But the second mile was over a minute faster and I kept up the pace for the rest of the run. Hopefully my legs will be ready for tomorrow. Now if I can just figure out how to get to the start of the race in Queens by 6:30 a.m. I'll be all set!

Running
Distance - 4 miles
Time - 33:15

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...