Nothing beats a rest day on a Saturday, except perhaps a rest day on Kentucky Derby Saturday. I slept a record-breaking 10 hours and it felt amazing. I did some long overdue cleaning and organizing in my apartment, leisurely ran some errands and rewarded myself with a fun afternoon of Derby viewing at a nearby bar in Brooklyn. The Derby party was in full effect - $3 Makers Mark mint juleps, $3 Rolling Rock ponies (3 little beers), $5 sets of hot dogs and all sorts of other things an Ironman-in-training shouldn't go anywhere near. Several people were in their finest Derby attire including fancy hats and dresses, cowboy hats and stuffed horses on sticks. It was festive all around.I arrived at 5:15 or so and enjoyed a mint julep and half a pony. And yes, I had the hot dogs. On a weekend when I'm logging everything I eat and drink for my coach no less. But hey, you have to live, right? The race was shown on a big projection screen in the back. It was hard to hear the commentary, but it was fun to see on a huge screen. As always it was exciting to watch, all two minutes of it, as the winner came out of nowhere with 50-1 odds. I stayed a bit longer to finish my second mint julep, grabbed another quick drink in the neighborhood and called it a night.
I'm back to training tomorrow, but it's relatively short as it marks the end of my rest week. I'm jumping back into full volume next week and will be re-testing my zones so it should make it a good challenge for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment