Training has been an emotional rollercoaster for sure. My cycle of happiness tends to run about four weeks, then inevitably I hit a rough patch for anywhere from a day to a week where I wonder why the heck I do this and how I'm ever going to be trained enough to finish the race. But then something usually happens to snap me back and it all becomes clear. I do this because I love it. I do this because I can and I know I won't always be able to. I do this because life just isn't rewarding enough without significant challenges and this is by far the greatest challenge I've ever had.
Sure I've given up a lot for this sport. I used to meet up with friends at our favorite local bar a few days a week with Sunday afternoons being our regular time. I can't remember the last time I was able to go because I'm always out on my bike or running on a Sunday now. I don't have time to watch movies, I can't remember the last time I just relaxed or took a nap, I don't cook anymore and I don't watch TV. But I've gained a lot as well. I've met somewhere around 50 new people through this sport and the discipline of training has made me better in other aspects of my life. I still see my friends, I still have a social life, it's just a little more restricted right now.
As far as race day worries and doubts go, I have them occasionally, but I also have days where I feel ready to race tomorrow and I know I'll be in an even better place in 79 days when the time is finally here. Having come from a totally non-athletic background this has been even more rewarding for me and the feeling of pride is unmatched.
Tonight was one of those perfect summer nights where everything is just right. I went with my family for drinks and dinner at a place with a terrace overlooking Lake Monona. We sat outside and the temperature was finally enjoyable. I haven't been that relaxed in a really long time, just what I needed to get ready for the big day tomorrow.
Running
Distance - 5 miles
Time - 43:47
Swimming
Distance - 3,800 yards
Time - 1:16:45
No comments:
Post a Comment