November 21, 2008

Off to Amsterdam

Every year I spend Thanksgiving in Amsterdam. It started as a layover on the way back from Africa and became an annual tradition. It's gotten so that I know the city so well and have so many friends there that it feels like a home away from home. I have a local bar where when I arrive, it feels like I never left. I eat at familiar restaurants and stay with friends. People ask why I don't go somewhere else, like Paris or London, but the thought has never crossed my mind.

Even though I'll be on vacation, I'll be a lot more active than I've been in New York lately. I'll have my Dutch bike to get around the city and do more walking than I've done all month. And that's a good thing. I'll need to counteract some the massive quantities of beer I'll be drinking and let's not even think about the Dutch pancakes.

Bon voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...