- About 3 seconds into my ride I ran into one of the guys I met on Wednesday's ride who gave me the new route. In a city of 8 million people, how is it possible to bump into someone twice in the same week?
- I saw no less than five cyclists without helmets. I don't understand how someone can drop thousands of dollars on a bike and gear, and not spend another hundred to protect the most important part of their body. Idiots.
- I only saw one other solo female today. Biking is such a man's sport.
- There are a lot of wild turkeys in New York.
- I'm not sure what's scarier - traffic or the 5-6 deer that threatened to dart out in front of me.
- Harriman State Park is beautiful. I've been hiking there, but never biked there. I can't wait to go back.
- Hills don't scare me anymore. I still move at a snail's pace up them, but I no longer panic when I see them coming.
- Dropping your chain on a super steep climb, in the direct sun, on a road with no shoulder is just no fun.
- Heat destroys me. I am praying for a cool to moderate day in Wisconsin.
- I need to rethink my choice in tri top for the race after two solid months of testing it out. I'm not sure there is enough support for 26.2 miles.
- The 10 minutes I spent quickly saying hello to all my friends at the local bar before my run was a bright spot in my day. It's amazing how something so small could be so positive and energizing.
- Despite all the frustration with body fat and weight gain, I realized today that I love my body. It is strong, resilient and continues to amaze me each and every time I demand that it do more. Ten years ago I could barely get up a flight of stairs. I've come a long way.
- I really miss food on long training days. Between the hours of 7:30am and 8:30pm I consumed: 160 ounces of Gatorade; 1 mini corn muffin; 4 hammer gels; 3 Luna Bars; 20 ounces of water; 1 Recoverite recovery drink; 1 glass of chocolate soy milk. I made up for it with a massive dinner.
- I'm doing an Ironman four weeks from today!!!
I leave you with a glimpse of Harriman. It made a hot, humid and uncomfortable ride totally worthwhile.
Distance - 99.30 miles
Time - 6:49:08
Distance - 8 miles
Time - 1:12:54