May 24, 2008

Slowly But Surely


Today was the perfect lazy day. The weather was amazing and everyone seemed more relaxed than usual. We got up earlier than I'd prefer, around 8 or so, and drove down to Alexandria for our favorite breakfast at Jack's. It's a bit of a drive from my sister's and it's always a long wait, but always worth it. After eating way too much, we were all tired so we came home and napped for awhile. We got up around 1:30 and finally made our way out for a run.

It's always great to run in an unfamiliar place. It breaks up the monotony and you forget about the mileage and take in the new surroundings. I run a bit faster so I had to run alone and didn't really know where I was going, which made the time fly by even faster. We did four miles in preparation for Monday's race and I'm thrilled to say that my foot did not bother me once. I slowed my pace to a nine-minute mile, which helped tremendously. I'm so aware of the foot issues that I think I obsess over it a bit and assume every little twinge of pain or pressure is a warning sign. Today, I barely notice my foot and it was my second pain-free run. Let's hope it stays that way and I'm able to increase me speed over time.

My sister lives in Maryland, right on the border of DC and right by Rock Creek Park, where we ran today. The park is closed to traffic on the weekends so it's mostly cyclists with the occasional runner. It was a beautiful place to get in a little training and lessen the guilt about the amount we ate and drank last night, and most likely will again tonight.

Tomorrow we are swimming (or something that vaguely resembles swimming) and I'll be testing out the new wetsuit. Maybe the added buoyancy will make the time at the pool a little easier for me. If not, I'll be in very good company and imagine we will have a great time. I'm planning to take it easy and try out some new drills that might help me get more comfortable in the water. Maybe it will be like learning to ride a bike. After I've tried and failed enough times, I'll just get it. It may not be tomorrow, but I'm sure it will be soon.

Sport - Running
Distance - 4 miles
Time - 36:07

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...