September 9, 2008

Delayed

I got up at 5 this morning for my 7:30 flight to New York. I feel like I've been away forever. When I checked in, I noticed my flight was delayed. No big deal I figured. I was too tired to worry about it. I had breakfast and about 6 cups of coffee before settling in at the gate. The 1.5 hours came and went and we boarded the plane. But then 2 minutes later, they announced that we would be getting off the plane due to a 1 hour 45 minute ground hold in New York. So I waited another 1.5 hours at the gate and they said one more hour. After the hour it was another hour. These are the moments I hate traveling.

I finally gave up and had them re-book me for tomorrow. I had work deadlines and would miss the entire day if I waited for this flight to finally get out of Madison. So I went back downtown and worked the rest of the afternoon. When I finished, I finally had my chance to run outside along Lake Monona. It was a beautiful night, absolutely perfect for running. This was my first real, outdoor run since before my accident and it felt incredible. I had some breathing issues and a side stitch, but nothing that was too troublesome. I definitely felt a little slower, but on top of being untrained, I'm operating on major sleep deprivation. I ran in my new compression calf guards and really liked them. I look like an idiot in them so they better make a difference. I guess I'll have to wait and see if they help in the long run.

I got to have dinner with my parents, brother and little nephew as well. So all in all, it was a nice silver lining to an annoying travel delay and a great way to end my stay in Madison. I'll be back soon enough.

Running
Distance - 5.7 miles
Time - 48:36

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...