Thanks to an insurance company denial, I thought the PRP treatment I wanted to try for my foot was no longer an option. However, after an appointment with my doctor today it's back on the horizon and looks likely for early next week. It's still very expensive but much more manageable thanks to his help. I'm also filing an insurance appeal, but coverage is a long shot. I don't care at this point. When I think about other things I willingly spend money on without a thought and then compare it to my well being and long-term enjoyment of this sport, there is no debate. While it's an unproven treatment in general, it has been known to work well for my specific injury, particularly in preventing future re-injury. That's good enough for me.
In other good news, there is a chance I'll be running again in just four weeks. I'm not even sure how I feel about that. On one hand I can't wait to get back to normal, but on the other, I'm terrified of not being 100% ready and risking a setback. Injuries really screw with your mind and I imagine I'll harbor some doubt and fear until I make it successfully through my 2010 season.
A little bad news often accompanies good news. The bad news here is that the boot will be back for a week after the procedure. I thought I was done with my old friend the boot, but it looks like we have unfinished business. I'm just glad I refrained from running over it in a car in celebration of being liberated from it. That ceremonious moment will have to wait for now. But luckily, not for long.