August 29, 2008

Doctor's Orders

I had my follow up with the orthopedist today, just a little over 2.5 weeks from my crash. I had an X-ray that showed the fracture still there, but with signs of healing and it is still non-displaced. My range of motion isn't too bad considering the fracture and the lack of movement I've had over the past couple weeks. I was given the go-ahead to ditch the sling while at home, but I'll need to wear it outside for the next week or so. I was given some basic exercises I can do at home and was prescribed physical therapy in two weeks.

But the most exciting news of all is that I've been cleared to run in one week. I am looking forward to it so much that I can hardly wait. I'll need to spend some more hours on the elliptical in the meantime, but at least now, there is a final end in sight. I won't need to wear the sling, which will make it even better. I wonder how my legs will feel after 4 weeks of just cross training. I hope the transition is fast. I asked my doctor if I could go right back to full volume and he just laughed. He said everything I'd been able to do so far had surprised him, so why not? Of course I'm not looking to trash my legs so I think I'll make it a gradual transition.

My doctor laughed because of my morning workout. I went to the pool and swam a mile in sets with one arm. It took me a little over 45 minutes and I felt really great the entire time. I did a warm-up and then 100 yards for timing, then did the rest in longer sets. I feel as though I could swim comfortably like this indefinitely if I had to. I get a little more tired, but I'm adapting more and more each time. I won't be cleared to swim with both arms for another 3-4 weeks most likely so until then, this is what I'll do. My doctor was amazed that I got back into it with one arm. Or he thinks I'm crazy...

I'll have another X-ray in 3 weeks to check my progress, so until then, I'll continue on as I have been. I'm looking forward to getting back to running and focusing on the marathon. There is a chance I can still recover from this and have a good race. The rest of me has healed very nicely. The bandages have been off my face for a week and my leg and elbow are finally coming along. This photo was taken last weekend, just 2 weeks from the accident. It was the first time I started to feel somewhat normal. And it's only gotten better since then. Let's hope this is a trend that will continue.

Swimming
Distance - 1800 yards
Time - 45:54

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...