February 14, 2009

Mentally Draining

People fondly refer to their bike trainers as "drainers" much like the treadmill gets labeled the "dreadmill." As much as we all hate these torture devices, at one time or another we equally love them because they allow us to train through the cold, miserable winter months. My first brick of the season was scheduled for today, a cold, miserable winter day. This meant I had to spend 1 hour and 45 minutes on my trainer before heading out for a short run.

I've always enjoyed brick workouts and usually look forward to them, but not today. I sat here looking at my bike, procrastinating in every way possible before finally getting dressed and hopping on. I decided up front that I would take a couple breaks to make the time go by more quickly. I had a few episodes of Sex and the City followed by Kona 2007 ready to go. Now all I had to do was ride.

It started out slow, then blissfully moved along after a bit before screeching to a stop quickly after. This rollercoaster would continue throughout the entire ride. I stood up every 20 minutes or so and got off after 45 to refill my water and sit an Uncrustable out to thaw.

I had my "transition" laid out and could not wait to finish this hell ride and go out for the run. When the moment finally came I was ready. I changed a few clothing items, put on my shoes and was out the door.

The last time I ran off the bike was in August at my final triathlon of the season so I didn't know what to expect. I was breathing heavily and my heart was pounding - all normal - so I kept running. I was headed toward the Brooklyn Heights Promenade and a beautiful view of Manhattan. Just before I reached it I hit my first mile and my time almost made me stop: 7:09. This was just about the fastest mile I've ever run. Ever. I was elated. I felt good and the pace was comfortable. My next two miles were a bit slower but still in the 7's. I've come a long way in a year and am excited about the year to come.

Biking
Distance - 25.3 miles
Time - 1:45:00

Running
Distance - 3 miles
Time - 22:31

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...